When was the last time you were fitted for a bra? Are you among the more than 64% of women who wear the wrong size? Clothing basics start with the bare necessities such as well fitting bras and the correct underwear for the garment that you are wearing that day. Other undergarment necessities like slips or body shapers are equally important. With a simple plan, your spring/summer wardrobe budget can get you the undergarments you need to look your best in any clothes you wear.
Get Sized for the Right Bra
Wearing the right size bra doesn’t have to be complicated. A bra fitting by a certified bra specialist is the key to getting the best support and the most comfortable fit.
Certified bra fit specialists can be found in most major department stores—Nordstrom, Belk, Macy, Dillard, Saks and Neiman Marcus, to name a few. Specialists recommend a bra fitting every six months. And, if you’ve never had one, the time to start is now!
What To Include In Your Underwear Drawer
- Choose a bra with a molded cup or soft underwire if you want to give character to your breasts that includes support and provide nipple coverage. Molded and soft cup underwire bras are perfect to wear under a T-shirt or sheer blouse.
- Opt for a demi cup (half-cup style) if you want to boost your breast to sit up higher on your chest and accentuate cleavage.
- A nude bra is a definite necessity for anyone wearing white! Never wear a black bra under a white top.
- An athletic or racerback bra is best under a tank top. Many bra styles today have a conversion clip on the back of the bra for just this purpose.
- No-strap and spaghetti strap tops and dresses must be accompanied with a good strapless bra. Most strapless bras have straps that come on and off and can be worn a multitude of ways. The kicker is to find one that is comfortable! Be sure to try on before you buy.
- Make sure your panties, whatever style you prefer, are cotton lined. Cotton absorbs, allows ventilation and keeps moisture away. The thinner the underwear, the more ventilation there will be.
- Moving into spring and summer, your brief trousseau will require a boy short for lightweight dresses or frocks, especially in case of a high wind.
- A nice fitting low rise brief is perfect for white or dark denim, and will certainly be classier than a thong that may peep out the top of your jeans. Can we all agree that is not a look that we want?
- One of my favorite panty options is a thin seamless brief to be worn under thin fabric garments or most anything else.
Tip: I recommend to buy just one or two pairs and test the waters before buying a weeks worth of any undergarment.
Shape wear is the yin and yang of undergarments. Body shapers compress to provide a smooth form, shaping specific parts of the body. Many shapers can be uncomfortable and may take some getting used to. Good shapewear can give the illusion of weight loss and shapely curves that may have not been there previously. Keep in mind—every woman’s body is uniquely shaped, so you should try on shapewear before you buy it.
Remember to throw out any undergarments that are worn, torn, faded or have holes. And, if you have a bra that is missing a hook or closure, get rid of it. I always tell clients that I would rather have 6 items that fit properly than a dozen that are taking up space!
From my closet to yours,