I Know You Have At Least One
You know what I’m talking about, right? It’s that go-to spring and summer staple, the white t-shirt. Whether yours is sleeveless, cap sleeve, short sleeve, or three-quarter sleeve, with or without a pocket, the style options are nearly endless! But your basic tee may be the last thing you pull from the closet, only because it can seem so…lifeless. With a little creativity, even the simple white tee can add a lot of versatility to your wardrobe.
Three Tips for Tees:
- Choose a flattering neckline that best fits your face, neckline and bust. A modest crew or boat neckline offers the comfort of knowing you’re covered, as well as a little extra sun protection. The V-neck can elongate your neck and lend a sporty, casual look to your outfit. And a scoop neck is also a popular choice, helping you stay cool in higher temps and providing the ideal backdrop for a colorful statement necklace.
- Look closely at your t-shirt, front and back, to make sure the fabric isn’t stained. Check for wear, including holes or pills. White can be tricky; only a crisp, clean white in pristine condition will deliver the look you really want.
- Wash whites separately for best results. I recommend The Laundress Whites Detergent, available through online retailers. It fights stains and yellowing and keeps whites bright.
Pair a white tee with a maxi skirt in a floral or geometric print with a ballerina flat or a Grecian style, lace-up sandal. Add a braided leather belt to define your waistline.
Combine a white tee with a color-injected denim pant and a cutout shoe bootie. Accessorize with a slouchy hobo bag and a cute, brimmed hat.
- Wear a simple white tee under a strappy dress or strapless sundress for more coverage. Layering is perfect for spring until the summer heat arrives.
- No time in your day for a day-to-evening transition? Simply begin your day with a white tee, a ruched skirt, a boyfriend blazer and a peep-toe pump. When the work day is over, shed the jacket and glam it up with a strong necklace for night.
- Dress tonally for an elegant, more streamlined silhouette. Add sophistication with a dressier white fabric tee in silk or a soft poly blend, over a flowing cream pant. Layer with a cropped jacket from the same neutral color palette.
How are you rocking your plain white tee? Text a selfie to 919-270-0250, and I’ll share your look on Facebook.
From my closet to yours,